November 25, 2013

on becoming less available


Throughout this past semester, I've noticed this feeling of stress and frustration that is directly tied to my phone.  I am definitely one of those people who has made my phone an extension of myself--I feel like I pretty much have to have it on me at all times.  And you know what?  That is really starting to take its toll on me.

Being constantly available is socially stressful--it's almost as if I feel trapped, to some extent.  I know it's not just me; we live in a culture where rapid-response is the norm.  Everyone is expected to be accessible in all ways at all times.  And that is just.not.healthy.

As finals approach, the typical end-of-semester stress is building.  I have a ton of papers to write and exams to study for and little to no time with which I can do that.  In order to minimize that stress a little bit, I plan to put my phone away more so I can really focus on my work.  I also know that going "off the map" will help me be more present as I spend time with my family this coming week.

I am just so, SO ready for a break--for a retreat of sorts--and some time where I feel like I can have my brain to myself for a bit.  Oh, what a treat it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment